Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Virtual Discussion Panel "Turning Disability into Ability, Writing Handicapped Characters"

Just got off of this panel and it was fantastic.   We discussed how to write characters with disabilities either physical, mental, or emotional.   One of the over-riding themes of this panel was work this in as a trait of the character in as realistic a way as possible, do not use it as a "plot development".  Much like bad Sci-Fi movies use special effects as "the big flashy thing" rather than part of the story, so too can disabilities be included.  

If you've read my series (what?  you haven't read the series?  are you mad!?) you know that I have several characters with various disabilities.  Jessop has Down Syndrom, Professor Reivus struggles with a form of Alzheimer, and Stitch gets his hand cut off.   I don't think I did a perfect job of writing about these people, but I tried my best to make them seem real in their struggle for normal lives.  Very important.  

And also enlightening. 

In Book 3, one of the defining discoveries that Aiden encounters is that traveling to this 2nd realm reveals strange healing.  There has been little opportunity to explore this, but it is there and during a meeting where they are discussing this, I was caught by surprise by something my characters did.   Yes, this does happen quite often, which to me means the Characters are speaking to me.  

Aiden was left thinking if the healing would heal Jessop of his mental issues.   OOooOOo you say!   Yes, and I was thinking the same thing.  Is it right to do?  Would he be a different person?  would he want to?  would it be right to refuse even if it did change him?   I don't have the answer to those questions but I will have to tackle that soon.   I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.  What should Aiden do?  What would Jessop want?

Gah!   It's killing me!

The panel discussion will be posted onto Youtube and I will let you know when it is live.  In the mean time, take care!

Spencer Pierson 

No comments:

Post a Comment